Friday, June 19, 2009

2004 Kawasaki KLR650 Specifications

I guess after all this talk about my bike I should give some specifics on the motorcycle. I have owned this Red 04 KLR for 2 years, I traded a 1987 Jeep Wrangler straight across for it. When I got it, it had 2500 miles on the odometer, I am now up to 11,700 miles. I had my Jeep for sale for $3500 and found this KLR in San Diego listed for $3500, I think I got the better end of the deal. For you Jeep fans, don't fear, I have another Jeep which was the reason I let the Wrangler go. I now have a 1974 Jeep CJ5 which belonged to my father-in-law, he had it built at his Chevy dealership about 15 years ago. It was built for raw power and climbing, its built up, I'll get more specific in another post later on for those who actually care.



Anyway the following are the specs from Kawasaki for the 2004 KLR650:


Specifications for 1987-2007 U.S. Model
Engine Type
Single Cylinder, Water Cooled, Four-Stroke, DOHC, 4 valves
Carburetion
Keihin CVK-40 constant velocity carburetor
Displacement
651 cc
Bore × Stroke
100 mm × 83 mm
Peak Power
44 bhp (33 kW) @ 6,000 rpm
Peak Torque
34 lbf·ft (46 N·m) @ 5,000 rpm
Compression Ratio
9.5 : 1
Fuel Capacity
6.1 U.S. gallons (23 L) (5.6 gal usable)
Oil Capacity
2.64 U.S. quarts (2.5 L)
Charging System Output
238 W @ 14 V
Seat Height
35.0 in. (88.9 cm)
Dry Weight
337 lb (176 kg) claimed, 402 lb (182 kg) wet weight actual
GVWR
738 lb (330 kg)
Tires
Front: 90/90-21 in. Rear: 130/90-17 in.
Brakes
Front: 1 disc, dual piston caliper; Rear: 1 disc, single piston caliper.
Final drive
520×106 links O-Ring Chain
After 2 years of ownership I have to say this the most fun bike I have ever owned, and I have owned alot of bikes. For the past 15 years I have ridden Harley-Davidsons and have really enjoyed them. But after riding the KLR I have not been on a Harley since, I have 2 Sportsters just sitting in my garage that I really need to sell.
As a kid I owned many enduros, which is what we called the Dual Sport bikes back then.But I actually started out with a 1975 Honda XR 75, then got a 1972 Rickman Montesa, then a 1974 Kawasaki DE 175, and then a 1979 CR 125. After that I got my first real street bike a Yamaha 360, it was 1 year old when I got it for $475, very cool bike. After that I had everything from Triumphs, Honda CB's, Honda Shadows, and then the HD Sportsters. I love anything on 2 wheels and am a huge motorcycle fanatic.
I currently have the KLR650, an 883 Sportster, a 1200 Sportster, a 1979 Honda XL 185, a 1970's Indian Mini-Mini, a 1992 Honda XR 600R (street Legal), a pink Chinese Quad for my daughter, a Honda Elite 150 Scooter, and a 1974 Honda XL 125.
Out of all the bikes I have the KLR is by far my favorite and the only one I ride for the last 2 years. I have loaded the bike up and just ridden anywhere I felt like going and the KLR is always ready and willing to go.
The KLR's are very easy bikes to maintain and work on, they use technology that is a bit outdated but that what motorcycles are supposed to be, somewhat primitive and not very refined. Maintenance is quick and easy, I change the oil every 1500 - 2000 miles and at the oil changes I do the remainder of the maintenance. Total it take me about 1 1/2- 2 hours to do the maintenance, but I like to be very thorough. I have not had any major malfunctions on the bike, and it has never left me stranded, it is extremely reliable. I keep close track of my costs on the bike and it is very inexpensive to operate, less than 10 cents a mile, including fuel and maintenance, and not including extras I buy for the bike, that would add up quick. I average around 50 - 53 miles per gallon of gas, and usually fill up around 200 -225 miles on the odometer. The specs say the fuel capacity is 6.1 gallons, but I think that's not quite true, I think it is around 5.7 or so.
The KLR is a fantastic all around motorcycle, it is better suited for the street than the dirt, but it can in the right hands do an OK job off road. It is a very heavy dirt bike, just a bit too top heavy for most. On the street it is much more at home, it cruises at 70-75 MPH all day long without struggling. At 70-75 MPH it is about 5000 RPM's and that is where the best power on this bike is, it is no hot rod, but ist is a very good sport-touring bike and with some modifications, is very comfortable and can keep you in the seat all day long riding. Because of the height of the bike it is very good in the twisties, and handles its best, the KLR is a corning fool, and fun on that type of road.
All in all the KLR is a jack of all trades kind of bike, it does everything and is not perfect at anything, but most bikes don't have the wide range abilities that the KLR has, for the price and what it is capable of, there is really no better value in a motorcycle anywhere. Sure you can get a better motorcycle, but at double the price in most cases. I think the Suzuki DR650 is the closest match to the KLR, and that is a bike that I am seriously getting as a companion to the KLR, but it has its drawbacks in some areas, it is however a very good motorcycle. Now finish reading and go ride! That's where the good times are.



No comments: